Switching your Trademark Docketing Software from WebTMS to Alt Legal
Alt Legal Team | March 19, 2023
Switching docketing systems has historically been a difficult and challenging process. So it’s no wonder that WebTMS users, like users of so many other docketing systems, are naturally hesitant to switch. You assume that switching will be expensive, time-consuming, and just a giant headache. As a result, you end up staying with WebTMS even when it’s not the right or most modern solution for managing your docket.
However, as a modern legal technology company, the Alt Legal team has developed a solution that allows us to switch customers from WebTMS to Alt Legal’s trademark docketing system in as little as one week. Best of all, it’s free and includes unlimited training and support.
So why have so many former WebTMS customers switched to Alt Legal? We hear three reasons for the switch:
- Automation: Simply, Alt Legal’s automation both in terms of scope and accuracy is second to none. Alt Legal automatically identifies and dockets new USPTO filings, updates statuses, and adds and removes deadlines based on USPTO activity— all without you having to take any action. There’s no need to click an “update” button because your docket is constantly being updated with the most up-to-date information. Alt Legal’s robust international capabilities allow it to retrieve data from 180+ jurisdictions and calculate renewal and use deadlines globally.
- Modern Interface: Alt Legal was designed to be incredibly easy to use and require minimal training. Most users can navigate the system without any training and many become expert users after just 30 minutes of training. Even so, training and support is always free and available via phone, email, and livechat.
- Easy reporting: Alt Legal allows you to generate client-ready reports in Excel, Word, or PDF in just a few clicks. You can also save frequently-run reports and update the data with one click. Best of all, you don’t need to switch to multiple other screens to customize your report.
What We Need from You
To migrate from WebTMS to Alt Legal, we simply need three Excel spreadsheets created via WebTMS’s built-in reporting function:
- an export of your USPTO trademarks;
- an export of your international trademarks; and
- an export of your non-trademark matters (if applicable).
For both USPTO and international reports, export whatever fields you would like to show in your Alt Legal docket. We are glad to provide guidance about what data points our customers typically export.
That’s it! We will take it from there!
We don’t believe in charging you to become a customer, so both the initial and any ongoing migration from WebTMS to Alt Legal is free for all types of matters, contacts and other data. Migration shouldn’t be so complicated. After all, it’s just data. If you decide to migrate from WebTMS to Alt Legal in stages (for example, first migrating your USPTO data, then your international trademarks, then your non-trademark matters), we are happy to provide you with that flexibility at no additional cost.
Your docketing system is critical to your day-to-day work, making timely migration from WebTMS to Alt Legal imperative. Alt Legal combines a high-touch approach with underlying proprietary technology to complete migrations in as quick as one day (up to two weeks on the longer end), depending on the size of your docket and quality of your data. Our customer success team has handled thousands of migrations from other IP docketing systems, including WebTMS, and draws on this experience to create and execute a personalized plan for your migration.
Our hands-on approach results in an IP docketing system customized to your organization’s workflow. This starts with learning more about your current processes and existing data and then mapping out how the data will be organized within Alt Legal. We then create a migration plan that meets your timing and needs.
During your onboarding, our team will review various customization options with you to support your docketing goals. For example, our software allows you to tag matters and search by the particular tag. Tags are completely customizable and can be assigned to matters during the migration. You can create tags such as: “Invoice Client”, “Let Abandon”, “VIP”, “Check Status”. Our pre-built customization options are included within your subscription, so you won’t need to worry about additional charges, and you can switch things back at any time.
Beyond ensuring that all of your data is properly transferred over from WebTMS to Alt Legal, we use the migration as an opportunity to help with any necessary data clean-up. We rely on our direct IP office connections to bring in as much official trademark data as possible. We also verify that all USPTO trademark filings assigned to you or your organization are entered into our system. Additionally, with our extensive USPTO database knowledge, our customer support team ensures that all available information associated with you or your organization has been captured and entered into your docket.
We offer unlimited, complimentary, individualized training to help you make the most out of your customized Alt Legal IP management system, reminders via email, and calendar syncs. In addition, you will have access to our library of support materials, as well as live chat, telephone support, and ongoing individual training sessions at no additional cost.
See Why Alt Legal is Different
You might be wondering how we are able to provide timely migrations from WebTMS to Alt Legal at no cost: it almost sounds too good to be true! We’ve made it our goal to provide seamless migrations, and we have invested in developing a sophisticated technology infrastructure to support your move from WebTMS to Alt Legal. This sets us apart from other less-than-enjoyable technology projects you might be thinking back to. Let us show you the Alt Legal difference. It all starts with our goal of making trademark professionals’ lives easier.
If you have any further questions about migrating to Alt Legal, our knowledgeable team is here to help. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.