Alt Legal Webinar: Fun with Non-Fungibles: NFT and blockchain basics for IP attorneys
Alt Legal Team | April 29, 2021
What do the NBA, Snoop Dogg, and Taco Bell have in common? All have recently released non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Digital assets and currencies are transforming core concepts of intellectual property law. “For example, some NFT transactions include creator royalties with each subsequent transaction, completely upending the first-sale doctrine. In this webinar, IP and cryptocurrency attorney Moish Peltz discusses the basics of the blockchain, cryptocurrencies, and fungible and non-fungible tokens to ultimately explain the implications for the present and future practice of intellectual property law.
Topics covered include:
The basics of blockchain, cryptocurrencies, and tokens
An overview of NFT IP considerations
Licenses and NFT royalty implications, including the first-sale doctrine
Challenges presented to copyright and fair use
IP enforcement on and off the blockchain
Potential opportunities and risks associated with these technologies
Watch recording here (registration required).
You can download all of the webinar materials here.
- Here’s a glossary of blockchain terms:https://consensys.net/knowledge-base/a-blockchain-glossary-for-beginners
- Check out Moish’s article about NFT basics: https://www.altlegal.com/blog/alt-legal-ip-docketing-blog/what-do-trademark-attorneys-need-to-know-about-nfts
- Check out Alt Legal’s interview with Moish about cryptocurrency and NFTs: https://www.altlegal.com/blog/alt-legal-ip-docketing-blog/what-ip-attorneys-need-to-know-about-cryptocurrency-and-nfts-an-interview-with-moish-peltz
- This is a good read on the subject https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/technology/nft-sale.html and nothing beats this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNOYudaMAc (Thanks, Seth Gardenswartz!)
- Luxury brands using NFTs for authentication: https://www.voguebusiness.com/technology/luxury-fashion-brands-poised-to-join-the-nft-party
- IBM’s most recent NFT venture: https://thetokenizer.io/2021/04/22/ipwe-and-ibm-seek-to-transform-corporate-patents-with-next-generation-nfts/
- An exploration of NFT and ownership/licensing: https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2021/04/22/non-fungible-tokens-force-a-copyright-reckoning/id=132435/
- Here are some articles about the “Disaster Girl” meme NFT sale: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56948514 and https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/29/22410070/disaster-girl-popular-meme-nft-500000-dollars
- Here’s an article about the Basquiat estate withdrawing NFT from auction: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/basquiat-nft-withdrawn-from-auction-after-artist-s-estate-intervenes
Moish E. Peltz, Esq. is a Partner and chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group at Falcon Rappaport & Berkman PLLC, a full-service business law firm located in the New York City area. The Firm represents a range of closely held businesses and individuals across various industries, including ecommerce, finance, manufacturing, real estate, energy, and hospitality. Moish focuses his practice on trademark and copyright prosecution and enforcement, as well as business litigation, where he has drafted and replied to more demand letters than he cares to count.