Alt Legal Webinar Copyright and Copywrong: What trademark attorneys need to know about copyright
Alt Legal Team | February 21, 2022
This webinar was recorded on March 10, 2022.
Even if you primarily practice trademark law, you need to understand the copyright landscape in order to best protect your clients’ assets. Clients need a holistic approach to protecting their businesses and brands, and copyright law is a key piece of the protection puzzle. In this webinar, copyright whiz Tyra Hughley Smith, instructor of Copy Curious copyright course for attorneys, walks you through the top five things trademark attorneys should—but often don’t—know about copyrights. She guides you through building your own business and brand protection arsenal to arm your clients, especially creatives. She also discusses the following:
- The intersection between copyright and trademark law
- Practical ways to protect clients who need broad intellectual property protection
- How to expand your practice to include copyright protection
You can view the recording here (registration required).
You can download all of the webinar materials here.
- Here’s a place to start with Copyright Searches: https://www.copyright.gov/public-records/
- Find out more about reverse image searches here: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808 and here: https://tineye.com/
- Also check out tineye.com for image searches – can select for Oldest (first) appearance and most changed (thanks, Barbara Waxer!)
- Find out more about copyright protection for collections of works here: https://copyright.gov/eco/help-collective-work.html
- This article explains the difference between the Principal and Supplemental registers: https://blog.altlegal.com/alt-legal-ip-docketing-blog/a-matter-of-principal-clarifying-principal-v-supplemental-registers
Tyra Hughley Smith, Founder, Hughley Smith Law
Tyra Hughley Smith is the founder and principal attorney of Hughley Smith Law, a boutique firm focusing on intellectual property (specifically copyrights and trademarks) and business strategy and protection for business owners and creatives. Tyra holds a dual degree from the University of Southern California, where she obtained her Juris Doctorate from the Gould School of Law simultaneously with a Masters of Communication Management (M.C.M.) from the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. Prior to her legal career, Tyra was a traditional newspaper and magazine journalist and obtained a Bachelor of Journalism from the University of Missouri-Columbia (hailed the top journalism school in the country) and a Bachelor of Arts in Black Studies. Tyra is licensed in both California and Illinois and is based in Los Angeles. In addition to her law practice, Tyra is a former Adjunct Professor at USC and currently offers courses for both attorneys and entrepreneurs, while running her other creative businesses.