Alt Legal WebinarSearching Rescue: Advanced TESS Searches
Alt Legal Team | February 26, 2021
Searching Trademark Office records is key to assessing whether a trademark is a good candidate for registration. In this webinar, former USPTO trademark examiner Ed Timberlake guides you through searching Trademark Office records from the basic index to X-Search summaries. Ed guides you through crafting trademark search strategies wide enough to find relevant records while narrow enough to review in less than a week. Topics include:
- How to perform basic and more complex freeform TESS searches
- How to use prior registrations (& refusals) to craft a trademark strategy
- What X-Search summaries are and how to use them for fun and profit
- What similarity and relatedness are and how they impact your trademark applications
You can download all of the webinar materials here.
5 minutes: Introduction
10 minutes: The Database(s): What they are, what’s in them, what’s not
10 minutes: Principles of Inclusion
10 minutes: Principles of Exclusion
5 minutes: Similarity
5 minutes: Relatedness
5 minutes: X-Searches
10 minutes: Conclusion, Questions
- For more about TESS searches, check out this article.
- For more about cannabis trademarks, check out this past webinar.
- Check out this recording from Alt Legal Connect last year, an interview with a former USPTO trademark examiner.
- For more about coordinated classes, check out this article.
Ed Timberlake is a former Trademark Examining Attorney at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, former Copyright Examiner at the U.S. Copyright Office, and Board Certified Specialist in Trademark Law. He focuses entirely on trademarks & copyrights, primarily providing advice, preparing & filing applications, and maintaining registrations.