Alt Legal IP News – Issue #29
Hannah Samendinger | March 14, 2017
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our latest episode features Jenny Odegard and Nakia Hansen of Odegard Law in Brooklyn, NY. We discuss designing a practice for creative clients and the legal challenges facing influencers.
The IP House
– Recently Trump was awarded 38 Chinese trademarks, raising constitutional concerns. It turns out that those trademarks were awarded in an “unusually quick” fashion.
– An unexpected country also just granted several Trump trademarks related to hotels and tourism.
– At last, the government has responded to a request for information and affirmed that Michelle Lee is the Director of the USPTO.
– Donald Trump, Jr. knows a thing or two about patent enforcement.
One for the Lawyers
– Ropes and Gray is sending roughly 100 lawyers staffers to a spinoff firm to handle their IP work.
– One of two lawyers accused of extorting $6 million dollars in an elaborate copyright scamhas pleaded guilty.
– Another state has adopted the duty of technological competence (and Canada may be soon to follow). Are you compliant?
– This week My Cousin Vinny turned 25. Here are some fun facts about one of the most beloved movies about lawyers.
What’s Happening Over There?
– Football (soccer) fans have to find a new way to watch the matches. The popular Kodi box is facing a crackdown on unlicensed streaming.
– Australia’s battle over fair use is heating up.
Odds and Ends
– Some updates in cannabis IP law: (1) The scope of federal cannabis related patents seems to be expanding with a recent patent granted for cannabinoids. (2) California introduced a bill to give trademark protection to cannabis businesses.
– Is “Marilyn Monroe” too generic to be a trademark?
– Dr. Marten is going after Steve Madden for an “exceptional case” of copying.
– Apple missed inclusion in the Top 50 Patent Winners in Europe and Top 10 in the US this year.
– We are sponsoring the upcoming NYCBA Trademark Law Program, a CLE Program that will take place on April 24. Find more info here.
See you next week!
(And stay warm out there blizzard affected readers!)