Alt Legal IP News – Issue #25
Alt Legal Team | February 14, 2017
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our latest episode features Radiance Harris of Radiance IP Law in Washington DC. We discuss hashtag trademarks and tips for introverted attorneys.
Love Is In the Air… Maybe
– The Romantic: Valentine’s Day is full of gift giving and some of those gifts are patented(#7 might apply to the anti-vday category as well).
The USPTO is feeling festive.
There are patents behind that bouquet.
– The Anti-Valentine: Basketball doesn’t scream romance and neither does this fascinating look at the history of basketball retrieval device patents for solo players.
– The Best in Show: Perhaps the most romantically neutral viewing option of the night will be the Westminster Dog Show (not counting puppy love). Some show dog related patents include registered pedigree stuffed animals, dog breeding methods, and methods of breed identification.
Copyright Three Ways
– The Copyright Alert System, an educational approach to online copyright infringement, is no more.
– Could Melania be subject to a copyright infringement claim?
– A blog is assembling some of the oldest (pre 1870) copyright records and their transcriptions. Take a look here.
Odds and Ends
– In just a few days, a new post-registration proof of use rule will go into effect.
– Naturally, a “Make Russia Great Again” trademark application has been filed.
– Samsung wants to trademark “Hello.”
– In-N-Out burger sued a Wichita dry cleaner over their strikingly similar logo.