Alt Legal IP News – Issue #220
Bri Van Til | December 23, 2020
The End of 2020
– This year is almost over, and you’re going to need a business development plan for next year. Join Alt Legal and Phil Cox next month for a webinar about crafting a business development strategy for 2021.
– If you have a favorite IP book that was published this year, nominate it to win this prize!
– Here’s a list of the top trade secrets cases of 2020. I want to make a joke that I can’t tell you about them, though (you know… ’cause they’re secrets).
Brexiting the EU
– Apparently Brexit negotiations are stalled over fishing rights. I’m not sure who’s on the hook for getting that worked out, but I hope it turns out to have a net positive outcome.
– The UK’s withdrawal from the European Union concludes at the end of the year. What does that mean for EU and UK trademarks?
– And what does it mean for patents?
– If you have existing EU trademarks docketed with Alt Legal, we will help you take care of the transition. Read all about how Alt Legal will handle EU/UK trademarks.
– The must-pass spending bill being considered this week includes controversial IP law changes including the CASE Act; the Trademark Modernization Act; and the DMCA, which, as we mentioned last week, could make illegal streaming a felony.
– This petition seeks to stop the revised DMCA language currently present in the spending bill.
– YouTube has filed a motion to dismiss a copyright infringement lawsuit after alleging that the plaintiff’s DMCA takedown requests were sent from the same IP address that uploaded the content.
– General Motors needs data counsel. I bet you’d report to the general counsel. In general.
– Goldman Sachs is looking for an IP paralegal. You got this position in the bag if you want it!
– Oh Snap! This place is hiring content and music counsel.
– Warner Music Group has an opening for a VP of business and legal affairs. If you’re applying, let me know: I’ll call their trademark counsel and warn ‘er.
– Authentic Brands Group needs trademark counsel. It’s probably way better than being trademark counsel for Designer Imposter Brands Group.
– Zynga is looking for IP counsel. I don’t know anything about the company, but part of me imagines that they named themselves that so that they could make the joke that you saved the best for last.
– Have an open role on your team? Send a link to your job listing to email@example.com, and we’ll publish it in our next newsletter.
Odds and Ends
– Is it legal for Chinese manufacturers to copy the products they’re creating for a company? Without the proper safeguards, it appears so.
– In case you’re curious, the first ever sports bra, which was patented, was made from jock straps. So many jokes. So few that are appropriate. But I got this one in under the wire.
– The Cleveland Indians are going to take their time to rebrand so that they can ensure proper trademark protection.
– TTAB says that Gruyere is fair game. I was going to make a pun about that, but I decided to Swiss it up. If you like my cheesy IP puns, make sure to buy your “Cheese and Desist” gear. It’s for a great cause.
– There will be no newsletter next week. Happy holidays, and I’ll see you in 2021!