Alt Legal IP News – Issue #215
Bri Van Til | November 18, 2020
– Ferrara Candy, the maker of Nerds, is suing a cannabis company for trademark infringement for its “Medicated Nerds Rope” product.
– Voters in four states opted to legalize recreational cannabis, so these authors recommend state trademark registration to protect cannabis brands there.
– Canadian cannabis company Hexo reached a settlement with a California-based company to stop the use of names related to HEXO.
– ISP company Cox Communications has been found liable for both vicarious and contributory copyright infringement and ordered to pay $1 billion for knowingly allowing subscribers to share and download infringing songs.
– A regional court in Dusseldorf is expected to hand down a decision in Nokia v. Daimler in about two weeks, which this author argues will be “the single most important court ruling in the (short) history of the [Internet of Things] industry.”
– Recent rulings about embedding have led to some serious questions about the server test precedent. Should sites worry about being embedded with the enemy?
– The ’90s called, and they want to show you some BigLaw firm websites. Oh, they’re totally bodacious, dude!
– Canada is considering joining the slew of countries that will require tech companies to pay for linking to news articles.
Whatchu China Do?
– China has amended its copyright laws significantly and has omitted a proposed provision that could have penalized owners for not sharing their property.
– This mysterious company is looking for in-house IP counsel.
– Check out this Newell position as chief IP counsel.
– The International Fund for Animal Welfare is looking for a top dog to be general counsel.
– Is it fair for you to be legal counsel at this retailer? Wayfair.
– The coolest IP docketing company ever is hiring a VP of marketing. Know someone? Send ’em our way!
– In addition to looking for a VP of marketing, we’re also looking for speakers for Alt Legal Connect 2021 and our ongoing Alt Legal Community webinar series. If you’re interested in speaking, we’d love to hear from you!
– Have an open role on your team? Send a link to your job listing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll publish it in our next newsletter.
Odds and Ends
– The EFF is imploring the USPTO to avoid making any permanent rule changes before the new administration takes office.
– Whether you’ve been practicing virtually for ages or are still getting accustomed to this new way of working, come to our last webinar of the year, where Merlyne Jean-Louis will teach you how to make your virtual practice a success in real life.
– Looking for a gift idea for the science junkie in your life? Check out this book of Nikola Tesla’s patent applications.