Alt Legal IP News – Issue #212
Bri Van Til | October 27, 2020
– How do overlapping trademarks and copyrights affect franchising in the comics industry?
– The TTAB ruled that British company Tiger Lily Ventures cannot trademark Lehman Brothers for whiskey because of the likelihood of confusion with the financial services firm.
– Computer company ACQIS is suing Lenovo for the alleged overlap between Lenovo’s computers and ACQIS’s patents.
Don’t Hate the Game Either!
– A University of Chicago assistant professor has created an online game for students to engage in collaborative research, but the terms of service are giving some pause.
– TikTok star Pokeprincxss had to rebrand after a suit from Nintendo.
Water You Talkin’ about?
– Rapper Cardi B has filed a trademark application for WAP for beverages, including bottled water (and booze).
– Inquire Abbott being trademark counsel for this pharmaceutical company.
– The Plus IP Firm is looking for a law clerk, so contact them if you think you’d be a good addition to the team.
– Pittsburgh Technical College is looking for chief legal counsel. Technically.
– Have an open role on your team? Send a link to your job listing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll publish it in our next newsletter.
Odds and Ends
– Apparently Kanye West is trading in Make America Great for GOD SAVE AMERICA, at least according to his recent trademark filing.
– Chinese tech company and online retailer Alibaba has been fined for attempting to register multiple coronavirus-related trademarks, including some referencing to Dr. Li Wenliang, a Wuhan doctor who issued early warnings about coronavirus.
– The Buffalo Bills have shocked and angered fans by filing a trademark application for BILLS MAFIA, the name of the team’s booster club.
– Alt Legal Connect is happening right now! I hope you’re hanging out with us. If you didn’t get a ticket, we’re sad we missed you, but you’ll be able to purchase access to the recordings soon! See the awesome schedule here.