Alt Legal IP News – Issue #208
Bri Van Til | September 30, 2020
– What should you do if employees resist coming back to work? Vorys and Lexology’s webinar seeks to answer that question and other pandemic-related questions.
– Here’s a quick primer for expedition of COVID-related patents or trademarks.
– According to this panel, IP plays a crucial role in the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
– Tomorrow Fox Mandal is hosting a panel discussion debating the roles of patent rights and the public interest in defeating COVID.
– Apparently ripping music streams is the new way to pirate music; it’s increased over tenfold in the past 4 years. Maybe that shouldn’t be aloud.
– Movie companies have filed suit against three users of YTS, a torrent site.
I’d Drink to That
– The fight over corn syrup in American adjunct lagers got really sticky, but the Seventh Circuit found in Anheuser-Busch’s favor.
– Nepal has just gotten a trademark for its orthodox tea, which is expected to help it compete in the global marketplace.
– Wanting to tap into the craft beer market? Are you hopping to learn more about beer trademarks? Then come join Alt Legal and Seth Gardenswartz in November for our webinar!
– Fish & Richardson is looking for a docketing specialist. If you are, too, you’re going to want to hear our big announcement at Alt Legal Connect!
– GEe, are you interested in being senior counsel here?
– If you know a company with a great in-house team, WTR wants to hear about it.
– I said, “Verizon is looking for counsel.” Can you hear me now?
– Have an open role on your team? Send a link to your job listing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll publish it in our next newsletter.
Odds and Ends
– Apparently just anyone can now anonymously nominate PTAB decisions to be considered informative or precedential.
– The Doobie Brothers’ attorney sent a great C&D to Bill Murray for allegedly PUTTing one of their songs on his golf gear website. You might say he was the man who knew too little about copyright infringement.
– WIPO just released a free database of selectively curated judicial decisions that establish precedent and offer substantive interpretation of IP law in 10 countries along with the judicial structures for IP disputes in those jurisdictions.
– If you haven’t signed up for Alt Legal Connect yet, do so now. Come hear about filing international trademarks, licensing, and more. Use the code “newsletter” for a discount. Early-bird pricing ends tomorrow!
– How do you protect a brand and still benefit from influencers’ social media posts about it? When should you use hashtags in trademarks? Join us for our webinar, “#IP #TRADEMARKS: New Media, Hashtags, Trademarks & Brand Protection,” next week to hear Bill Samuels answer these questions and more!