Alt Legal IP News – Issue #205
Bri Van Til | September 09, 2020
– With lockdowns and social distancing measures in place, social media has never been more crucial. Join us at our webinar on October 8th, where Bill Samuels will explain the nuances of protecting social media brands.
– A TikTok employee filed an injunction to block President Trump’s executive order blocking the social media platform.
– Volvo tried to put the brakes on a copyright infringement suit alleging it posted a photographer’s images on Instagram without permission, but the judge in the case denied Volvo’s Motion to Dismiss.
– The Federal Circuit says Facebook can’t join itself to a PTAB case in which it was already a party.
– Who owns the rights to social media influencers’ tattoos? It’s complicated. Read a more detailed explanation here.
– The USPTO has published a final rule on patent fee changes for this fiscal year.
– Is it possible to obtain the protections of a filing date now without having all the money for the fees upfront?
– Instead of hourly or fixed-fee billing, have you ever considered selling legal services subscriptions? Come hear subscriptions experts discuss this lucrative billing method at Alt Legal Connect. Use the code “newsletter” for a discount.
The Restaurant Industry
– IP protection looks different in different industries. Come hear Panda Express’s GC and IP counsel talk about what it looks like in the restaurant industry, including how they partner with outside counsel.
– McDonald’s has a beef with Hungry Jack’s burger; they claim it’s a ripoff of the Big Mac.
– There’s a New(ell Brands) opening here for Chief IP Counsel.
– I juice think you’d be a great candidate for general counsel at Smoothie King.
– The list of reasons to be Assistant General Counsel at Olympus is mounting.
– Google wants a Rights and Clearance Specialist. Also, Foley Lardner is looking for a Temporary IP Docket Specialist, but the folks I know are docket specialists all the time.
– Have an open role on your team? Send a link to your job listing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll publish it in our next newsletter.
Odds and Ends
– WTR has compiled a list of best practices for brand creation and protection.
– Ahmaud Arbery’s mother is upset about trademarks and nonprofits that use his name without her permission.
– Cardozo Law is launching an online program that offers an LLM in IP.
– According to this article by IP Watchdog, most lawyers miss 4 out of 8 IP safeguards for software.