Alt Legal IP News – Issue # 192
Bri Van Til | June 09, 2020
You Are What You Eat
– Nestlé’s actions regarding its plant-based burger may have put it in an impossible situation.
– In-N-Out is alleging that Australian burger chain Down N’ Out’s branding is not just down ‘n’ dirty but also downright infringement.
– A group of organizations has pushed for a celebration of International Seed Day in direct opposition to World Intellectual Property Day.
– If you’re interested in IP protection for food brands, here’s a recording of a recent webinar by Mark Leonard, GC of Jelly Belly, on the topic.
– A YouTuber who was making his own replica of Gone in 60 Seconds’ Eleanor has had the car and all his videos seized by the owner of the ELEANOR trademark.
– Social media posts by those covering protests have been removed for copyright infringement because of songs playing in the background at protests.
– Twitter has removed for alleged copyright infringement a tweet posted by President Trump’s reelection campaign discussing George Floyd’s death.
– President Trump has issued an executive order attempting to block the removal of his social media posts.
A Budding Industry
– Harvest Cannabis Dispensary, a small dispensary in Arkansas, has won a preliminary injunction against out-of-state operator Harvest Health & Recreation.
– A CBD trade secret case has been dismissed without prejudice because the plaintiff did not follow the court’s order to obtain counsel in the time allotted.
– The California State Bar Ethics Committee has concluded that attorneys may now ethically advise clients regarding California’s cannabis laws, despite the fact that the conduct may be prohibited under federal law.
– Whether you’re considering adding cannabis to your firm’s specialization or just wanting to help your bud protect his cannabis brand, come to Jessica Gonzalez’s webinar to learn more about the intersection of cannabis and trademarks.
– An opening at Mastercard for senior counsel? Priceless.
– Takeda wants you to take da opportunity to look at their listing for R&D contracts counsel.
– If you have the NRG to apply, Goal Zero is looking for counsel. Their goal is zero openings, so help ’em out!
– Microsoft wants a gaming attorney. I’m not an attorney, but I play one in video games!
– Have an open role on your team? Send a link to your job listing to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll publish it in our next newsletter.
Odds and Ends
– Spoof comedy Space Force is racing to trademark the term throughout the world, “outmaneuvering the U.S. government.”
– In case you missed Caroline Fox’s webinar about finding a niche for your practice, check out the recording here.
– Looking for a break from the daily grind? Join us on Thursday at 5 ET for our weekly virtual happy hour!