Alt Legal IP News – Issue #18
Alt Legal Team | December 20, 2016
You can now subscribe to our podcast, Alt Trademarks, on iTunes and Google Play. Our latest episode (and the last one of 2016) features Amanda Conley and Shabnam Malek of Brand & Branch. We discuss starting a practice and some of the unique challenges facing cannabis businesses seeking IP protection.
We hope you are all getting ready to take some well deserved time off to spend with friends and family. To get in the holiday spirit, we have a few holiday related IP stories for you this week.
– Check out some iconic toy patents.
– One holiday movie has a particularly interesting copyright history, which it can likely credit for its widespread popularity.
– Playing holiday tunes too loud? Quoting Charlie Brown? Putting a cross on the tree? You might be subject to a holiday (non-IP related) lawsuit.
– Related to the above tree lawsuit- Festivus poles have popped up on city property, as a protest about mixing church and state (doubling as the Festivus tradition- “Airing of Grievances”). Some Festivus related trademarks include Festivus, Festivus for the Rest of Us, Festivus Games, and Festivus Poles.
– Here are some more unusual holiday patents. As someone with a New York apartment (read: small), #5 on the list seems like a great idea to me.