Alt Legal IP News – Issue #135
Bri Van Til | April 16, 2019
– Kim Kardashian plans to become a lawyer without going to law school.
– Patagonia claims that Anheuser-Busch’s new Patagonia beer rips off their branding elements.
– The multi-billion dollar Apple v. Qualcomm patent trial is about to begin.
– Two pillow makers are disputing similarities in advertising and packaging.
– Some intellectual property disputes may be moving to a new venue.
Games, Toys, and Songs
– The TTAB sustained an opposition by Cards against Humanity against Vampire Squid Cards for their product Crabs Adjust Humidity.
– Lego successfully canceled the trademark of a Chinese imitator, Lepin.
– In the wake of a settlement that put the “Happy Birthday” song in the public domain, several other songs are now making their way through the courts on similar grounds.
Odds and Ends
– A serial trademark filer is claiming he is “the best troll.”
– Some patent applications reveal pop-up phone screens might be in our future.
– The PTAB is issuing some interesting decisions on cannabis patents.
– A tweet by EFF complaining about a DMCA request was hit with its own DMCA takedown request. The EFF countered that “reporting about copyright infringement is not infringement.”