Alt Legal IP News – Issue #134
Justin Wickersham | April 09, 2019
– Is the end of the patent troll near?
– Reddit’s piracy subreddit has been plagued with copyright complaints, so Reddit is taking the nuclear option.
– In niche patent news, two companies are disputing rights to a casket liner.
– El Chapo’s wife and daughter are getting into fashion and trading on El Chapo’s notoriety.
– A 12-year-old slime maker has doubled her following while battling Viacom in a trademark dispute.
– The USPTO director is reaching out to all types of inventors, even kindergarteners.
– Thunderpussy is anxiously awaiting Supreme Court oral arguments happening on April 15th.
– Mercedes Benz is suing several mural artists for the right to use the murals in ads.
– Does this 2 Chainz song sound like copyright infringement to you?
– Ariana Grande wants all photographers at her shows to give her the copyrights to their work.
Odds and Ends
– A California judge is allowing MoviePass to pursue a case against a rival subscription service for patent infringement.
– The group behind the Women’s March has stopped pursuing a trademark registration for their name.
– Boston may be a target of intellectual property espionage.
– This Apple ad poses the question: why aren’t pizza boxes round? Maybe because Apple has the patent.