Alt Legal IP News – Issue #127
Bri Van Til | February 19, 2019
– An artist is suing Ariana Grande for copyright infringement of one of his artworks in the music video for “God is a Woman.”
– The Kardashians are already planning their children’s empires.
– A former Coca-Cola employee has been charged with attempted theft of trade secrets valued at almost $120 million.
– Capri Sun is claiming a competitor’s drink packaging infringes on Capri Sun’s protected pouch container.
– Thanks to the Cadbury brothers’ failure to seek IP protection in 1868, the heart-shaped chocolate box was born.
Around the World
– Japan will likely make all copyright infringement a criminal offense.
– What is a “legal fake” brand, and how does it continue to exist?
– A Birmingham man’s dispute with the USPS over a system for processing undeliverable mail is heading to the Supreme Court.
Odds and Ends
– R.E.M. successfully used copyright to get one of the President’s tweets removed.
– A brand wants to register a green sole as a trademark and is using Louboutin’s drawings to try to do so.
– UPS is suing several cannabis delivery companies for trademark infringement.
– Many women contributed to science but were buried in the footnotes.