Alt Legal IP News – Issue #106
Bri Van Til | September 18, 2018
Looking for Answers
– What is the most significant unresolved legal issue in trademark licensing?
– Here is a video primer on why knockoffs are often legal and the ongoing fight against them.
– This article about how police will solve murder on Mars raises several interesting jurisdictional questions. Some of those same jurisdictional questions apply to the creation of intellectual property in space.
– The German Supreme Court is seeking European guidance on a YouTube copyright ruling.
– When it comes to copyright infringement, is lawyering up always the right move?
– A poke restaurant’s trademark enforcement is not sitting well with native Hawaiian activists.
Put Your Guard Up
– What would a blockchain patent war look like?
– The moment of suspense when you drop your phone and carefully pick it up, bracing for a shattered screen, may become a thing of the past.
– Outrage over this patent caused an Amazon employee to assure the public that even bad ideas get submitted for patents.
Odds and Ends
– Could AI help patent examiners sift through ideas to determine what is truly new?
– Designers are protesting a new US policy that makes it more difficult to copyright typefaces.