Alt Legal IP News – Issue #116
Bri Van Til | November 27, 2018
– The Satanic Temple settled their $50 million lawsuit against Netflix.
– Do patents have souls? Are they creepy?
– The third largest wave of American innovation may be coming to a close.
– What if you could experience VR but without the walking? Google’s new patent could skate users through alternate realities.
– Clap on, clap off technology was mostly used for lighting… until now.
Some Recognizable Names
– A joke stealing lawsuit against Conan O’Brien is moving forward.
– If Kobe Bryant is required to testify in an ongoing trademark lawsuit, his lawyers say he will take inspiration from Lil Wayne.
– Levi Strauss is suing Yves Saint Laurent over their pocket tab design.
– Louis Vuitton has a strategic approach to brand protection.
Odds and Ends
– Check out this interesting long read on copyright’s male gaze.
– In a scathing opinion, a judge accused a copyright troll of treating his court “like an ATM.”
– Two inventors are questioning whether the shut down of a government program is still affecting patent decisions.
– Amazon is working with the USPTO to address bad actors who are altering trademark data.
– Who knew there are so many patents behind pumpkin pie?